On July 28, 2009 the FDA finally increased the perceived danger level of mercury (amalgam or “silver”) fillings. These fillings are about half mercury. Their toxicity level was taken from Class I (low risk) to the category of Class II. This puts them into the middle range of risk which usually carries some kind of precautions regarding their use. Among other things, the changes the FDA instituted allow dentist to discuss mercury with their patients.
The following label changes were recommended:
- A warning against the use of these fillings in patients with mercury allergy since these fillings are 50% mercury.
- A warning that dental professionals use adequate ventilation when handling the material for the fillings since the mercury vapors created when drilling can be toxic.
- And a statement discussing the scientific evidence on the benefits and risks of dental amalgam.
Dr. Susan Runner, acting director of the Division of Anesthesiology, General Hospital, Infection Control and Dental Devices, part of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health, acknowledged that the FDA found “…concentrations of mercury in breast milk… ” Though she went on to try and say that it is nothing to worry about, I am stuck on the fact that the mercury from fillings is showing up in the breast milk and, therefore, being fed to a baby. Can anyone truly believe that is a safe thing to do?
This is serious double talk. All of the facts that should cause one to run from these fillings are being hidden between statements indicating that these fillings “pose no real harm to most people”.
Dr. Michael Fleming, a member of the FDA Dental Products Panel said, after viewing the facts but before the ruling that he expected the FDA to incorporate the committee’s recommendations, which included:
Making sure that patients be informed of the mercury content of the product.
Beefing up precautions for pregnant women and women of child-bearing age.
Mercury Toxicity with unfiltered well water:
Well water is a wonderful source of minerals. Unfortunately, unfiltered well water can also a major source of heavy metals.
Mercury: Work related exposure:
Welders and painters, for example, tend to release larger amounts of metal in their detox water than our other clients.
At Optimum Health we use chlorella and the special equipment to allow your body to remove these harmful metals. Our clients say they feel lighter and vibrant. They begin to loose the hardened aged look that toxic loads can cause.
Mercury, FDA Reclassification: Related Topics
Schedule an appointment for a consultation and ion foot detox to get started on your path to Optimum Health.